Your GI Bill Doesn't Fully Cover Tuition? Extra Resources For You To Go To College

Posted on

The GI bill promises to cover tuition costs at a college or university of your choice. There is just one problem with this promise. If you had read the fine print on your military service contract, you would have seen that it said "up to x amount of dollars for your education."

It is all based on years and months of service and how this agreement is fulfilled. If you just left the military, and your continuing education funds from the military do not quite cover four years' tuition at the college of your choice, you are going to need more money, or a cheaper college. (Tuition from the GI bill does not generally cover tuition if you intend to attend an ivy league school. The funds are meant to help you through a state university, which is always cheaper.) Here are a few extra resources you can tap for tuition assistance for military personnel.

Ask about a Tuition Reduction for Service Personnel

Some colleges offer a tuition reduction as their way of saying "thanks!" for serving your country. When you receive your tuition bill for the first time, take it to the enrollment office and ask about this reduction. You can ask about it before enrolling too, if you are considering more than one school and the deal breaker is the tuition reduction.

Grants, Grants, and More Grants

There are TONS of grants reserved for military personnel only. Many of these are branch-specific, while others may require that you still be in service. Check all of the criteria on these grants carefully. Then apply for the grants that best fit your current position, rank, years of service, etc..

Private Funding

There are also several scholarships sponsored by local groups for military personnel. For example, many VFW organizations offer scholarships to military personnel. You can track down and apply for these to give you the financial boost you need. Many of them have deadlines, often in the spring or fall, so finding them now and applying for fall scholarships is a good idea. As for the spring ones, you can be proactive by writing the information down and applying for them during the winter months.

Honorary Scholarships and Trust Funds

Finally, some service personnel, when they pass away, set up trust funds to help other military personnel go to college. These sources are often restricted to local and regional areas around specific colleges and universities. You can apply for these if you meet their requirements.